Tuesday, June 11, 2013

Dear Future Student





            Paris. It’s really crazy to think about that only five letters can represent something so incredibly large. I have gone on school trips abroad before, I have also lived abroad before, but nothing could ever compare to the experience I had in Paris. I’m not even sure where to begin when telling you about my trip. I guess in the beginning, that’s always a good starting point.
            Before I left I wasn’t sure what to expect, we had a two classes to prepare us before we got there, we also had readings and a book to give us some perspective on the city and the things we were going to see. I knew this trip was going to be very intense, but never did I think I was going to feel so many emotions when looking at art and architecture.
            I initially wanted to take this trip because my love when it comes to art history is more design based, although I am a fine art major, for some reason architecture and design is what really interests me. I expected to learn a lot from this trip and I expected to be also very tired. Other than that I was really open to anything and everything. Needless to say, my expectations were met and very much exceeded.
            I came to Paris needing clarity within my own studio practice and my own life. Coming to the cultural capital of the world is probably one of the best things you can do when in that sort of position. Seeing buildings that were 100’s of years old, seeing art that has been through war and tragedy, but yet stands so beautifully, really puts one in there place. Knowing that I needed some clarity on where I stood, I really focused in on the people in Paris. Something that we don’t really have in Milwaukee is community space. We don’t really have places throughout the city that people gather to drink coffee and admire the day. This idea of how people move throughout the city really became an important idea for me to think about on the trip.
            This idea was further highlighted when walking through galleries and museums. I always knew that curating was a really impressive art form, but I don’t think I paid that much attention to it before the trip. We had many assignments about looking at how the space was set up to highlight a piece of work, for me, this also meant how the space was set up to move people around. The Louvre was overwhelming with curating genius, I felt like I was constantly spinning around, looking at people looking at art, looking at the walls, looking at the room. In Paris there is really a lot of looking to do. Within this course, we did so so so much looking!
            Although Paris is a very fun city, this course was no joke. You go there and you are not a tourist, you are a student. There were times when I wished I was just a tourist, but those times very few and far between. I was so grateful to have two professors show me around the city. Going on this trip was almost like a private tour of Paris, you learn more about the city, about art and about yourself then you could just going by yourself. Chris and Eric are so unbelievably smart, and watching them together is really a treat. They both get so excited about buildings are different pieces of art, and when a teacher is excited about something, this automatically transcends you into their mindset. Its really important see things in real life, some say that Paris is like walking through a history book. I’d much rather walk through a history book then read it from afar.
            One of the biggest challenges of this trip was traveling with a large amount of people. Although it is really fun, I am the type of person that needs to be alone when thinking and reflecting on our days. When you are up and ready to go at 7:30 in the morning and then are out until 6 or 7 at night, it’s hard then to get your brain to work after a long day of seeing so many beautiful things! Maybe it was just me, but when I am constantly on the go and seeing beautiful building after beautiful art, my head gets a little overwhelmed. Then going back to the hostel with 10 girls and 1 guy all in one room makes it a little hard to settle down and reflect. I found that often times I just needed to go and have coffee by myself and try and get Internet in the hostel. Alone time is crucial when going on a trip as intense as this.  
            International study is the most important thing anyone can do. I don’t know how people just stay in one place their whole life. Meeting new people and seeing new things gives you a deeper understanding about the world as it stands today. Understanding history in context with art and seeing all of that in real life brings feelings and emotions to the surface that cannot be had while looking at a picture. For example, I cried when looking at August Rodin’s work. I knew of him before I left, but there is this indescribable feeling you get when standing in front of something so powerful and so large. Everyone should study abroad, it changes you for the better, and going with a school group is a wonderful way to do it safely and to do it right!



                                                -Ana Maria Minter

No comments:

Post a Comment