Saturday, June 8, 2013

A Letter to Future Students


I think we can all perceive the value in international travel, and travel in general.  Growing up, my family didn’t take a lot of very diverse vacations, and I always felt like I missing out on something really important.  This study abroad program was the first time I had the opportunity to leave the United States, as well as one of the very few times I’ve left the midwest.  Changing up the scenery, even for a few weeks can really break a monotonous cycle of “The Everyday”.  I chose this particular program because since childhood, I was fascinated by Europe, especially France.  I want to say it has something to do with my love of the children’s story Madeline.  In high school, I studied French for a year, and really enjoyed learning a new language for the first time, and being exposed to culture much different from mine.  

This trip came at very opportune time, as second semester Junior year, I was beginning to fall in to a rut, not really seeing any grand purpose in the things I was making, and lacking an ultimate goal that was reasonable and attainable.  I think I expected going to Paris to be some sort of inner-artistic renaissance.  Looking forward to the trip, I knew it would change me in a big way, but upon reflecting, I am surprised by what kind of changes took place.  They surely weren’t the ones I was expecting.  Being exposed to so many incredible museums, and such a density of crucial art works, the physical existence of work that I admire became very real to me.  Reading about a work online or in a text book can give a lot of information about how a work is read and what it means, but approaching a work in it’s physical environment, in an environment highly considered by more people than just the artist, has a great cognitive effect.  Realizing this was a really critical moment in my experience, and helped me better define my purpose in the scheme of the art work, and how my place as a viewer, and understanding of what “viewership” means, can inform my own work.  

These kinds of revelations are likely due the rapidity that I was experiencing the city of Paris, and all of the amazing things it had to offer.  When I wasn’t think about my exhaustion, or missing friends back home, or day dreaming, I was thinking about the movement of viewers, and the way art and ideas control our bodies and minds when experiencing them.  Sometimes I find myself writing the same few sentences down in my journal, over and over again, when I can‘t quite wrap my head around them, but in Paris I was filling page after page with content and ideas at a pace that surpassed my expected capability.  I have this new motivation to seek out art viewing experiences.  I always enjoyed going to art openings, and gallery shows, but now I value this interaction more.  

I think my trip to London after the Paris experience was really important as well.  Being in Europe is a great opportunity that many Americans don’t have very often, and I felt it was important to make the most of one trip.  I was only in London for two full days, and because of this, I really had to do some extensive research on how I wanted to spend such a short time.  I found lists of galleries I really wanted to see, and made sure a visit to Tate Modern was in the mix as well.  Because my visits to Paris and London were consecutive, I was able to compare their cultures, and pin point the aspects that I admired about each.  In this way, I was able to understand the values I look for in a place to live.  I came to Paris, expecting to never want to leave, but I left Paris knowing that it was not a permanent location for me.  The city is beautiful, and there are many places and social practices I admire about Paris, but I didn’t always feel like my lifestyle was congruent with the Parisians.  London was a little closer to a city I could picture myself living in.  I see more value in being critical of one’s place in a culture, than dreaming of full immersion, because that’s just not possible.  I want to continue to travel, both domestic and internationally, not only to learn more about the world, but to find places which really jive with me.  

In terms of preparing oneself for this experience, I would say, to expect to be tired, but really happy about it, and to try and sleep on the plane, even if you’re too nervous or too excited.  I would stress not being disappointed when you realize that you miss home, because you likely will at some point.  You’re definitely going to want some ear plugs, and most importantly, a bag with wheels is a lot easier to maneuver than a duffel bag so heavy that you have to hug it to take it anywhere (just a few logistical suggestions).  But one thing I cannot stress enough on this trip, is time to oneself.  It’s really easy to just follow a small group around on this trip, but remember, you’re sending three weeks with these people, with very few breaks, so it’s really important to take time to experience Paris on your own.  Even if it’s just a walk in the morning, or deciding to split off for even 15 minutes when the opportunity arises.  This experiences is for your own, individual benefit when it comes down to it, so take a little while (or a long while, if you can) and let Paris be your only influence.   

- Amy Trompeter

No comments:

Post a Comment