Thursday, May 30, 2013

Branly....museum of historical proportions.

Musee du quai Branly was interesting so to say. Walking to it, I thought we were viewing another art museum. The exterior had a lifted building. Underneath were gardens with a mess load of paths in every direction. The building had a maroon/dark brown exterior. I didn’t quite understand this until I got inside. When I got inside, I was greeted by this glass case that went on for several floors filled with musical instruments from all around the world. It was cool to see archives in view then from being stored away in the museum’s basement. Going up to the actual museum, the exterior’s color made sense to me. Major of the exhibitions focused on ancient history from Australia, Africa, Americas, and Asia. The dark brown represented the color of land seen in mountains and the maroon reminded me of a sunset. So for example, the Grand Canyon in the US could be one representation.

Going into our class discussion, we were asked to find something new that collaborated with something old. I chose a Mayan sacrifice table that was placed on top of a new table stand. The stand was built somewhat like the Mayan, but wasn’t the same color. That was the only difference.

 I ended up finding this Mayan skeleton that reflected back the shape of the windows on the Branly.



Overall, it was a cool experience both architecturally and historically. I thought it was especially wicked that I found these ceremonial skulls that were shaped in weird ways.   




No comments:

Post a Comment