Wednesday, May 29, 2013

Lunch at Chanel

The last self-exploration day was really the most important day since visiting Versailles for me.
 Self-exploration has allowed me to view a side of Paris that’s not covered in the trip, fashion. I may be a communication design major, but I’ve wanted to work in the fashion industry since I was 12. It’s a HUGE part of my life and coming to Paris-the fashion capital of the world-has intrigued my mind even further.

 During our days venturing around the city, I enjoy looking at what Parisian women wear. For most, it’s not the bounty of designer wear being worn; it’s simpler with one statement piece. Usually this comes in the form of shoes or a scarf. It’s chic and in good taste.
Sketches of women I viewed on the streets

 I ventured over to the Opera section of the city that’s known for its fashion district. It’s this part of town where I can see the famous French designers and admire from a far their imprint in French history. First and foremost, it was on my bucket list to visit the first Chanel store that opened in 1910 on Rue Cambon. With my lunch in hand, I searched for the shop. I ended up stumbling upon it after a good 20 minutes and plopped myself on a stoop. I was too afraid to walk into the store since I looked too much like a peasant and there were two security guards outside. So instead I pulled a “Breakfast at Tiffany’s” moment where Audrey Hepburn window-shops while eating her croissant. But for me, this was more “Lunch at Chanel.” I viewed the mannequins inside with the latest Chanel collection. This is when I started to get really emotional. Not only because I finally saw these beautiful artworks up-close, but Coco Chanel is one of my major influences. She crossed over the line of menswear and coined the jacket/blazer for women.
Coco Chanel in the 20's

In terms of fashion-it’s exquisite, but the graphic design for the brand is phenomenal. The double C logo is elegant but iconic because it’s so effective. The pattern work on the windows, help bring the clothing collection alive. It’s the perfect combination for me. Fashion and Communication Design interacting together in harmony.   

After sobbing tears, a small, old French woman came up to me. Asked me why I was crying VIA rubbing her hand on her eyes to communicate to me. I rubbed my hands to my eyes and pointed at Chanel. She nodded her head and said something in French I couldn’t comprehend.
Louis Vuitton 

After my moment at Chanel, I went to see Louis Vuitton, Celine, and Dior. Needless to say viewing these designers and how Parisian women dress, it’s simplicity that wins over fashion. You can see it in the top-notch designers collections. I guess this is why Paris is the fashion capital of the world. It’s simple.    



No comments:

Post a Comment