Tuesday, May 21, 2013

Keri: Day 1-3

Arrived in Paris!!! 
First day back in the land of good bread and mighty fine art. After a boat tour and dinner at the hostel, I slept like a rock.

sketchbook: HELLO PARIS!

Day 1 - Notre Dame


A big blue structure, commemorated 850 years, was blocking part of cathedral when we arrived. My first impression was, "this ugly thing needs to go." Then we sat and sketched and it offered an amazing, elevated view of Notre Dame, so I decided it could stay :)

sketchbook: my view on top of the giant steps, and the big blue square behind. Also I wore yellow pants that day that matched my umbrella.

We used the six scales to analyze a piece of the building. Starting from biggest connection down to the smaller details. Below you can see the arch way I chose. 
Gothic arches also show progressive divisibility (hierarchy that works at all levels in harmony, like a kaleidoscope, big arch outside of smaller arches out side of even smaller arches)

sketchbook: 6 scales, sketch book analysis with pictures

From today's discussion I really liked the analogy of cathedrals to football stadiums in that they were/are both built for status (You're not a big city unless you have a team - You're not a big bishop unless you have a big cathedral). The bishops were competing just as cities compete for an audience. The best way to get people to come is to build an amazing cathedral or stadium... and tax the people. However, taxing starving people lead to riots. 

Ground Zero: where all other points are measured from in Paris. Plus my yellow pants. 


Day 2 - Versailles

Main Palace; originally a hunting lodge

Continuing the theme of extravagancies from yesterday we strolled through the gardens and palaces on the grounds. The Church built huge, beautiful Cathedrals in their honor and the Royalty built huge, beautiful palaces. In order to drive home this rising tension between leaders and the common folk, our assignment was to find something that represented the reason for the uprising. At first I found several urns that were so beautiful, and to me represented unnecessary luxury. Then I went to Marie Antoinette's little peasant village, Otherwise known as the Queen's Hamlet

Built in 1783 in order for the queen to flee the Court of Versailles

This was a rustic retreat built for the queen because she was attracted to the charms of country life. This could also be called a glorified tiny village, like an adult sized playhouse... with multiple houses and gardens and staff. I thought the village was fantastic, I would love to have one of my own! 


However, to me this represented a good reason for the riots. To be so extravagant that you have an amazing, petite palace and yet want to experience a more common life... so you built your own fantasy world. In which you get to act common without any of drawbacks. It's a different kind of decadence and rich display. 


Day 3 - The Louvre



Today we really got into analyzing paintings and other works. First we had group exercise on Gericault's Le Radeau de la Medusa - a painting depicting a true story of a shipwrecked raft where death, decision, and hope are represented in that moment, but later only 2 survive. 

Then we chose two pieces to compare. I was drawn to The Winged Victory of Samothracj as soon as I saw her. I loved her power and beauty. 

The Winged Victory of Samothrace

sketchbook: 6 scales of The Winged Victory of Samothrace

After analyzing this statue, I looked for another work that had a strong women, a victory pose, or winged person. I saw this Joan of arc painting:

Jenne d'Arc au sacre du rio Charles VII dans La Cathedrale

sketchbook: 6 scales of Joan of Ark at the Coronation of Charles VII

Both are strong poses representing victory. The idea of mixing female figures in battle and in a position of honor was interesting to me. I also thought the fact that Joan had one hand on the church alter and the other on her flag signified church and state. 

-Keri

No comments:

Post a Comment