Wednesday, May 29, 2013

Independence in Paris

I could easily stay here in Paris for another month with the way things are.  I don’t feel particularly homesick, not to say that I don’t miss my friends and family.  Because of the lack of reliable internet and a phone, there’s been no way to communicate steadily, which I did at home daily.  It’s strange to think that my life at home is continuing without me.  Large life events have been happening while I’m having my own.  I can hear about them through the occasional email, but I’m so far away and out of touch, it doesn’t seem real yet.  Even my relationships seem unreal.  When you go from talking to someone several times a day at home to barely emailing them once a week, the relationships get more distant and you get more independent.  It feels similar to when you imagine something so many times you almost think it’s real.  Resuming my life at home will be refreshing and strange.  Being here for so long has been great and unreal, but I feel like I’ve been neglecting my personal life and relationships.  I can’t help but feel selfish and indulgent that I’m experiencing this by myself.

No comments:

Post a Comment