Sunday, May 26, 2013

Transitions


Transitioning into ‘modern’ Paris.

Yesterday was full of emotions. The Musee Rodin was probably one of the most amazing museums I have ever been to. Knowing that we are transitioning into a more modern world and modern way of looking at art, seeing Auguste Rodin’s work was a really nice bridge.
I noticed that he started expressing the human body, not necessarily in a heroic way all of the time. He shows humans in a human way, with pain and tragedy. Rodin has a humanistic approach to sculpting in my eyes.

After the Musee Rodin, we moved into the Musee d’Orsay, which is a huge place marker for the modern world. Everything in the museum was somewhere around 1840-1914, but nothing before that and nothing after that. Looking at the work with that in context, it was amazing to see how truly advanced the think was. Seeing Van Goghs work especially, the use of color within his work is… honestly there are no words to describe it. Using orange and reds in the eyes, pink in the church, green in the skin, there is nothing like that in the world.


I spent a lot of time sketching at the Musee Rodin, below are some pages from my book. I looked very deeply into Rodin’s Eve. One of the most beautiful sculptures in my opinion.






No comments:

Post a Comment