Thursday, May 30, 2013

Wednesday 29th


After a long morning of presentations and discussions, the Foundation Cartier was what filled up our day. This was a contemporary gallery that housed some of the most impressive hyper real figurative sculpture I have ever seen.
The building was designed by, Jean Nouvel, the same designer of the Quai Branley, so when I frist met the Foundation Cartier, I was faced with a large glass fence of sorts, which translated so many of the same feelings I had at the Quai Branley.
Ron Mueck
I am absolutely amazed with what I saw today! When I first walked into the main room, I pretty much felt weak to my knees, the scale of the first figures that I was met with were about 2/3’s larger than us. This did something fantastical to me; It turned the whole landscape and environment into a small little performance, where everyone was one third the size. I’m still digesting it after only seeing it a few hour ago, but it was so odd how everyone marvels at it, when we are the tiny ones, they should be marveling at us. Not that the sculptures are alive, but they have such a aura in the room, sometimes I caught myself visualizing them breathings, and blinking.
To juxtapose this, in all of the other rooms (except one piece in the basement) the sculptures were 1/3 smaller than us, creating odd child/parent-like reactions. Feelings turn from fear to empathy. I could go on for days and days about the power Ron Mueck has over me. But summing it up I will say that something I strive to do with my work is question the scale of my viewer and change their center of gravity in a way, and Mueck does all that and more. 
We were unable to take photos in the gallery, this image is from
 http://www.wallpaper.com/art/sculptor-ron-muecks-solo-exhibition-at-fondation-cartier-paris/6455
(which also has other photos and an article) 

No comments:

Post a Comment