Tuesday, May 21, 2013

First 3 Days: Notre Dame, Versailles, Louvre


Day one Notre Dame

The walk may have been hard but it was worth the effort. So many of the views around Notre Dame were wonderful. While I was talking with Eric about the gargoyles being rain spouts we started to discuss how if it was raining hard enough, the water flow would add even more arches to the building. I liked the look of the building for the most part. The only problem I had was that this center spike was only half clean. One side was a dark gray black and the other was a lighter warm gray. But the dark gray black side really complimented the green copper statues. The bright green against the dark gray just popped. Moving on to the interior. While I was walking around I was amazed by the all of the stained glass. I have seen several buildings with a lot of stained glass but NOT in that amount. The vast amount of stained glass is overwhelming and the details in each window are crazy. Discussing the style of the inside, the main hall has very small points to the arches which are characteristic of a more Romanist style. While the side hall's arches were more Gothic with very sharp points. The pillars in the main hall are larger and more Romanist while the side halls contain multi-pillars with more of a Gothic style.

Day 2 Versailles

The theme I picked was water. So the water has to come from somewhere.  I believe that the water is coming from springs and they are also importing it in. When you are out in the gardens, everywhere you look water plays a part. From the plants and live stock needing water to live and the water in the lake to the statues all around that are getting smaller and smaller every year. Water is also used in all of the buildings for bathrooms, cleaning, etc. Water is needed for everything.
I plan to return with my family, but I am planning to get a golf cart for sure. There just isn't any other way to get around and see all there is to see.

Day 3 the Louvre 

The outside is very beautiful but the inside is very plain for most of the building yet some sections had beautiful ceilings. So when we went inside the size of the pyramid was just unreal. I loved how deep it was. I know when I go back (and I will go back) that I am going to get the passes first so I don't have to wait in the long line. 

So on to the two pieces. I picked the first was Environs de Honfleur. Neige  by Claude-Oscar Monet. This piece was a snow-covered road with a small house in the distance. The second piece that I selected was Fontaine Dans La Compagnie Romaine
by Hubert Robert.  This piece was a summer scene with a women taking her cow and dog to get water. Although these pieces were on opposite walls in the center facing each other, these pieces are so very different. The brush strokes in Monet’s work is wild and free while the brush strokes in Robert's are more neat and detailed. Monet was trying to capture the moment while Robert was trying to make the moment. Hubert Robert was painting in more of an old style while Claude-Oscar Monet was painting more avant garde for the time. In both of the pieces there is a path that draws your eyes back into the space. Monet’s path is straighter then curves off into space while the path in Robert's painting curves back and forth. Monet uses the path to add depth to his piece while Robert just puts it in so the people have somewhere to stand.

I believe that out of these two pieces Monet wins for capturing the moment but Robert wins for most detailed.

No comments:

Post a Comment