Sunday, May 26, 2013

Musée d'Orsay and Musée d'Orsay Revisited


Because the Musée d’Orsay used to be a train station, the museum space old and new, decorative, and practical.  Unlike the Louvre, which was once home to royalty and the Musée Rodin, which Rodin himself lived in, people of all kinds used the Gare d’Orsay.  It was a railroad station until it closed and reopened as the Musée d’Orsay.  The history of the building makes it relevant to art inside and inviting to people outside.




The Orsay contains art from the 1840s to 1914.  The art I was most excited about was the Impressionism and Post-Impressionism.  I was able to see some of the most famous pieces I remember from art history books in person, which was incredible.  I occasionally cried.  I went back to the museum a second time to get a better look, but I still haven’t seen everything.  The museum deserves a full and thorough visit, not a quick run through because it holds some of the most important and interesting Realism, Impressionism, and Post-Impressionism works.







No comments:

Post a Comment