Sunday, May 26, 2013

The Latin Quarter


On the 4th day, we went to a number of different places within the Latin Quarter. I enjoyed this day in particular, because I was able to digest the city in a different manner than we had been in the last couple of days. I was completely overwhelmed by the Louvre and really exhausted from getting to know the metro, getting accustomed to walking around so much, and this city in general. But, the Latin Quarter was really nice because it felt a lot more eclectic than any other part of Paris that I’ve seen so far. There were two things in particular that I really enjoyed on Day 4. Saint Severin Church, and The Pantheon.

            I normally am not extremely attracted to churches-I think that they are beautiful, particularly in Paris, but I can only stay in them for so long. At Saint Severin, I found that to be a completely different case. This church was filled with beautiful architecture-amazing, amazing architecture filled with the most beautiful stained glass, fan vaults, and gothic arches. I was attracted to one room in particular though, that felt and looked a lot different than the rest of the church. Set aside on the left part of the building, was a small chapel called, “The Chappelle du Saint-Sacrament.”




The light throughout the church as a whole was particularly dark-very moody, beautiful, quiet light moving through the stained glass. But, the light within this room was warm, bright, and radiating a different kind of energy. It might have been the time of day that we were there that caused this room to be so beautiful to me, but once I entered into the space there was a muffling, a quietness to it that wasn’t found in the rest of the church that echoed every sound you made. What really allowed me to connect to this room was the fact that there were Gardenias next to the altar-that scent in particular reminds me of family and nostalgia-so I felt connected almost immediately. I spent awhile sitting within the space and enjoying the chance to reflect/be quiet for a minute. The light, smell, and space were extremely conducive to look back on the last couple of days and decompress.

The second thing in particular that was of interest to me was The Pantheon. It was absolutely beautiful. I have no words for what it feels like to approach the building and stand under the massive columns, to see the intricate detailing hundreds of feet up from you on the ceiling, and the beautiful sculptures that live within this space. But the part that I enjoyed the most was the crypt downstairs. We almost left without seeing it, and I’m really happy we didn’t. The idea of keeping your country’s most beloved, highly regarded, and well-known members of society within the basement of this building, open to the public to come and visit you after your death, is beyond me.



Some of these people that were within this underground, yet aboveground burial have been there for hundreds of years. How do you acquire these bodies? Why do you keep them? How does one get nominated to be permanently “buried” there? I found the whole concept absolutely intriguing but extremely challenging, coming from a culture where the norm is to bury your loved ones underground, or cremate them. Seeing how people still come today to bring flowers, objects and different artifacts to people they admire or care about is absolutely beautiful. I think that its interesting to give the public a space to come and meditate, re-live history, and allow yourself to be connected/re-connect with a part of your culture.

I think the overall theme for Day 4 was mediation-I was still extremely overwhelmed visually/mentally/physically and finding these little spots of surprise mediation was really beautiful and necessary. 

No comments:

Post a Comment