Sunday, May 26, 2013

Latin Quarter Church Adventures


Day 4:

I love the Latin Quarter. Though it's now filled with shops and restaurants and tons of people, you can still see the medieval era that it came from in its tiny streets and architecture. I would love to have had more time to walk down the streets and wander through the shops but I did have a great time going through the churches. Saint Severn Chapel, a post Notre Dame church was easily one of my favorite churches that we’ve been to so far, including Notre Dame. This church was a tiny more enclosed version of the Notre Dame which allowed me to really see the architecture and feel the impact of the vaults. The fan vaults (not 100% sure that this is the correct term at all) in the chapel were so beautiful, they wrapped around the columns and intertwined, to create a sort of movement. It was as though they were alive, the veins of the church. I believe Notre Dame has something similar, but they were so high up it was almost impossible to really and experience them. The vaults paired with the modern stained glass created a truly spiritual experience, bringing the place to life. 

Turning around you were confronted by an organ the size of which I had never previously seen. The scale of it was almost something out of a fairytale. 

Though the organ was covering some of the original stained glass, and some saw it as a burden and a shame to have covered the glass, I loved it. The glass was beautiful, but how often do you see an organ that large and beautiful?!

No comments:

Post a Comment