Tuesday, May 21, 2013

The day before Paris, France: A belated dialogue - Lauren West


Hello all... Apologies on the belated post, however, the three divides encompass everything I wanted to articulate to you all. The three parts, in essence describes what the travel, and flight and my feelings were like during the duration of my trip to Paris, France. Thank you for taking the time to partake in the dialogue I am about to engage with you in. - Sincerely, Lauren Rebecca West. - IAD student of the Milwaukee Institute of Design. 
_____________________________

Up until now, I have only traveled a few places in the states. 


Panic – Anxiety. Each minute dreadfully slowed, as my hands just shook, managing to beat the clock to get ready on time. I sat there, just staring at the two suitcases lying in front of me, static. In contrast my eyes, darting around the room for the time. I fumbled around with my clothing, desperately making iterations of re-packing, over and over again. I couldn’t grasp what seemed most important to me, what I could bear to potentially never see again. The strike in affect in Brussels, Belgium had me questioning if what my carry-on would hold would be enough, how much would I be out, and more importantly? How would this be affecting my time in France? I had many ideations of the trip formulated in my head. My goodness, I already started to create my own dialogues of what I proposed the context would be like upon my arrival. I imagined NOTHING could go wrong. My romanticized thoughts of the endeavor were horrifically wrong.

To my luck later in the day, on the way to O’Hare, good news arose in the appropriate duration of time. The strike was over. My heart beat slowed from the exceedingly rapid pace it was at before. I could breathe. I could take a second, hold onto it and smile. This day was looking better. It indeed got much better. Check in went smoothly, the flight is 1/3 through to Brussels, Belgium, then we (I state we because I am traveling with Andrea) – have a layover, and then to CDG.

Currently:
1566 miles traveled, currently 32,999 ft altitude at 8:49pm in the states. Time to destination approx. 5 hrs.

**35,004 ft altitude: 9:03pm – 4:53 minutes to landing.  I gauge looking at the map on my screen we are roughly 1/3 through the flight.

I’m thrilled by the notion that I will be thrown outside of my comfort zone. To be landing in a country, that I can not articulate much more than that of the average toddler – actually excites me. It creates this opportunity to analyze how I will behave outside of a dialogue I am accustomed to. The context of my surroundings, has completely changed, and now I must adapt. I accept this endeavor.

Until then, I bid you all farewell. As I am off to slumber. I am going to need this rest if I am going to survive the duration of today, and beat the infamous “jet-lag”.

- Lauren W.
_______________________


A sense of surreal-ness encompassed all of my thoughts in the last few days. Seeing as though this is going to be my first international flight, I couldn’t seem to grasp I would be in the air for over eight hours, landing in another destination, France.

I’ve always seemed to be a spectator to that other life you read about it in the textbooks. We have Google search and the countless photos on their search engine. Even you using their program google earth, allows you to discover what their city looks like on the streets. The connection allows you to effortlessy see the circulation of the natives, without ever touching foot on their grounds.




I’ve learned a lot today about travel, especially from others. I almost want to write the class who goes on this trip next a packing list. Hearing about the Brussels Airline strike made me nervous.  Just when I thought I had packed the right amountof, well everything to be so far away from home...I didn’t want to accept the idea, all of that could be delayed, lost or just entirely gone, so far from home. Panic, anxiety just struck my entire body. However, to that day – it was announced that the strike had ended, we were in luck.

The rest of the day ran smoothly. I was in peace with myself all day. Just so thankful to be in the position I am. It crossed my mind many times today that I would like to ask more people what brings them where they are, or why they are traveling to this destination (our first being Brussels, Belgium)...what led them here today. What led me here today? In a place, at 33, 006 feet in the air above the east coast (currently), We have 5 hours until we land in Belgium, I would like to be able to sleep. It’s currently 8:35pm in the states, but as we cross time zones, that will change by a 7 hour difference.

Andrea and I were lucky to be able to get seat by eachother, I believe that lessens the anxiety of travel when you get to converse, and share the experience with someone. Especially it lessens the awkwardness of sharing a seat with a complete stranger in such close quarters.

Packing: Even though we will be in France for 16 days, I believe it is necessary to pack, and re-pack multiple times, I learned the value of only having one bag, and carrying the essentials. I failed to do so this time around. I believe my anxieties of “what if I need this, or something happens”, dominated my thoughts. Yes it’s good to take precautions, but you must understand you are going to a city – where you can readily find the products you may need. The next time I ever choose to travel, I will know better, and won’t be lugging around as much as I had this time. It wasn’t necessarily bad, but It happened to be a little excess. I’m especially interested to see what I do not use this trip, and use further analyze what truly is necessary for an abroad trip such as this.
 _____________________

You really learn a lot of yourself traveling, somewhat alone. I understand in myself a drastic change. From someone who used to be shy, shut down, and nearly just afraid of people for the sake of being nervous around them...I came to realize, I can lead, take charge, and feel comfortable outside of what I know. I like the energy of new people, I enjoy what I don’t know, because expanding my knowledge on anything, matters to me. I must say, I was pretty envious of the first class travelers, those are wonderful cabin spaces. The quarters in the back (economy) are bearable, but definitely confined for my liking of being close to people.

__________________________________________

That was the extent of the travel to Paris, France. However, when we did arrive in Paris, we found out our luggage was indeed lost. That was a terrifying experience, luckily enough, we put down the address of the hostel we are staying at - and the luggage we packed arrived about a day later; Much earlier than I expected. We were so thankful, and from then on all anxieties left my body. I was confident this trip, would be all I hoped for and more. 



No comments:

Post a Comment