Tuesday, May 28, 2013

Pom Pom museum

Through out this trip I wanted to find history of graphic design through Paris. I wanted to see what trended through the years and how it has changed the way we see things. As a communication design major, it’s highly important to see what other countries besides the US communicate through imagery. Unfortunately, a lot of the places we attended to didn’t cater to such history. When I got to the Pompidou, I found a couple of interesting subjects that did serve as a history of graphic design.

Walking into a dark wing of the Pompidou, I found post WWII political propaganda. The posters and book wasn’t normal propaganda. It ended up being a revision of the Morse Code translated into a new secret code. After that, it was taking into poetry. What really caught my eye was the open book with the two pages. On the left, was a poem built into the letter “E”. Unlucky for me, the description of the page was in French so I couldn’t convey what it meant. I was looking on how the layout of the poem was, since when it comes to communication, a designer must understand how the eye leads to another section of a page, advertisement, etc. Then I looked at the second page, which was more graphics but had some poetry to it. I looked at that and see how it related back to the previous page. It had almost the same element of flow, but the illustrations switched gears up. In whole, the poems connected together not just by subject, but how they presented a flowing pattern.
Front cover of book
Open book with two pages

Personal sketched of the layout
I was just really excited to see this stuff. It may have been more on a fine art level, but the elements of communication design were present. 


But let's just check out the Kate Moss print outside the Pompidou. Ironically, the artist or whom evers name was right next to it was written as "Konny." It reminded me of back in the early 90's when Kate and Johnny Depp used to date. So I laughed.

No comments:

Post a Comment