Friday, May 31, 2013

Natalie_Hair Exhibit



Hair and Pride




While visiting the Quai Branley museum we not only were able to see primitive pieces from the Philippines, we were also able to see those pieces juxtaposed against a special exhibit about hair and how it has kept its significance for a number of tribal rituals over the years. 

I had made it halfway through the exhibit when i came upon a video piece that was showing woman during the 30's era who were suspected of sleeping with the enemy getting their hair shaved. The photographs, but especially the video were so haunting to me. I know much about the history of World War 2 and the surrounding years, however, I wasn't aware that the shaving of heads extended to friends of the enemy in this way during these years. 





From my Notes: 
in the museum there is
marching
i hear it in the back, behind the walls
its the shuffle shuffle I imagine she made
as they poked her back
back in line
and I didn't think they were the enemy
I dont even know her
or them
or if they were nice people
but I do feel 
that they 
dont deserve to 
be cut

And these were some more photographs from the rest of the exhibit. 












No comments:

Post a Comment