Wednesday, May 29, 2013

The Opera in Images


I’m so so so glad that we ended up going to the opera. I just adored being in the building and would have absolutely loved to have seen an actual performance there. Everything about the Opera was ornate and beautiful and decadent. One of my very favorite corners of the Opera was just a little portion meant as a connecting point between two rooms. 

What struck me about the room was the contrast between the light and darks and the rich golds! 

The style of this room seemed really similar to the style of the graphics used for the new Great Gatsby movie, which is absolutely amazing by the way,  that I have fallen in love with. I spent a ton of time in these little corners looking at the detail and just taking in the beauty of it all and thinking about the way it could translate to design, and how well the designers behind The Great Gatsby actually had managed to translate it. Now obviously this wasn't the exact inspiration they used, it was likely something more modern than this building, but just thinking about how they modernized an older style and made it great while still staying true to what it originally was. Anyway...that was a bit of a tangent...back to the Opera.


I think what struck me most about the whole building was how huge the exterior is compared to the actual theater. The theater is actually very small. I expected it to be this large, grand masterpiece, and it still was a masterpiece, but it sure wasn’t as large as anticipated. 

I also think that it would be quite possible for me to do my final project just with the number of pictures i’ve taken of chandeliers!  I apparently have a previously unknown love of lighting structures.



I didn’t realize this until Natalie said something about it but I found out while I was there that this is the opera that The Phantom of the Opera takes place in! They even had his door marked. I was incredibly jazzed about that! Again, because i’m a narrative person, actually seeing a place I have only imagined or seen in movies or shows is thrilling. I love putting stories and their settings together, actually being able to say that i’ve been there that I’ve walked up those stairs and seen that stage.

The main hallway was just beautiful! Everything was so ornate it was impossible to take a picture that wasn't "jumbly". I hope you have enjoyed this photographic exploration of the Opera!







No comments:

Post a Comment