Thursday, May 30, 2013

People Watching

Throughout this whole trip something that I have really been attracted to is how people move about. I think I really started to think about this when we were at Versailles when people were being herded through massive decadent rooms, filled to the brim with patterns and gold and art. This really came to my attention because the situation at Versailles was way over stimulating for me to deal with, and what made it a little bit easier for me is stepping back in the corner and analyzing the people and the space.
At Versailles, it was literally a massive herd being pushed through room to room.
At the Louvre it was similar, although much more breathing room, the thing there that was difficult to deal with was the massive tour groups. I felt like if I didn't move out of the way, they would trample me and then I would become a pancake.

Speaking of Pancakes, the Pompidou was really amazing. *note I will blog separately about the whole Pompidou experience soon*


Alberto Giacometti! My heart stopped for his works. His figures are really breathtaking, like they were craved out of thin air.

This is a small image of some of the figures he tends to create, although this piece wasn't at the Pompidou, this has had an huge effect on me.

It's these figures that I want to create.
So I began looking at people all over Paris, how the move through the subway, how the move on the street. Even how the streets are constructed for people to move through them. I began filming everything. Thinking that photography just would do me justice.

This is a film still I took of people moving throughout the Opera house. I have been filming the whole time here and I'm not sure what it will all succumb to yet, although these ideas of mass transit and figures in space are spinning in my mind.

No comments:

Post a Comment